A nice example of the “Compass, Wrist, Liquid-filled” issued to all Airborne troops during World War 2. The body is made of olive drab Bakelite plastic and the needle point is tipped with phosphorescent paint. The back of the Compass is marked “Corps of Engineers U.S. Army”. The compass is manufactured by Superior Magneto Corp. and dated 7-44 (July, 1944). Both the compass and the original adjustable leather band are in excellent condition.
Wrist compasses were used both by officers and enlisted men. The compass was usually seen worn on the wrist, ofcourse, but also over the sleeve, the shoulder loops, webbing or at the ankle over the jump boots.